CLASSES FOR TEENS AND ADULTS
Open classes are offered seven days a week for the beginning/intermediate to professional dancer. Our highly qualified teachers design classes tailored to the needs and desires of adult students. All dancers with some ballet experience, aged 13 and up, are welcome to participate.
TPB is closed and does not hold Open Classes on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Years Day.
Classes are held 7 days a week at 10:00am.
*Teachers/pianists are subject to change
Monday ~ Intermediate Ballet for 50+
Georgann Kelly/Jordan Strang
Tuesday ~ Intermediate Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Richard Hugunine
Wednesday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Brett Mills/Jordan Strang
Thursday ~ Intermediate Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Jeremy Reinhold
Friday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Jeremy Reinhold
Saturday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Jason Davis/Richard Hugunine
Sunday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Michelle Davis/Jordan Strang
Adult Absolute Beginning Ballet Series
The Portland Ballet regularly offers eight-week sessions of absolute beginner ballet classes that provide interested adults with a fun and informative introduction to ballet basics. Once a week on Sundays, Michelle Davis guides dancers through the fundamentals of ballet. $120 for 8 Weeks.
Interested in joining mid-session? Call the studio for pro-rated registration.
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm. For the absolute beginner.
Students pay a drop-in rate of $17/class, or $12/class for barre only. We also offer the following discounts for our returning and ongoing students:
- $80 for five classes (equal to $16/class)
- $150 for ten classes (equal to $15/class)
- $240 for twenty classes (equal to $12/class)
College students and professional dancers may qualify for a discount rate of $13/class. The Professional/Student class card rates are:
- $110 for 10 classes (equal to $11/class)
Students must show a college ID to receive the Student Rate; high school students are not eligible for this discount. For TPB Curriculum students, Open Classes count as a drop-in class. Professional dancers can apply to receive the Professional Rate. To apply, please complete the Professional Rate Application and return it to the front desk. The Portland Ballet will review the information before approving the Professional Rate. We accept checks, cash, VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. Tuition payments are not tax-deductible as a charitable donation, and we do not provide refunds.
- Adult students must sign-in at the reception desk.
- Only water is allowed in the studio. Absolutely no other drinks (sports drinks, coffee, etc.) or food are allowed. Gum is prohibited.
- Please turn off/set to silence or vibrate all cell phones and pagers upon entering the building.
- Unless permission is given, only accompanists may touch, move, or play the pianos.
- Classes are not available for observation by friends or family.
Proper warm-up is necessary for injury prevention. These exercises commence at the beginning of class. Any student arriving 10 or more minutes after the class start time will not be admitted.
Class Attire/Personal Hygiene
- Our instructors need to see student’s body lines in order to make corrections and ensure that everyone is dancing safely. Leotards, tights, and skirts are suggested, but are not mandatory. Tighter-fitting yoga clothes are also appropriate. Gentlemen, dance belts must be worn with tights, leggings, jazz pants, or sweat pants. Jeans and other street clothes are not acceptable.
- Instructors reserve the right to require specific attire for their classes and may ask students to leave class or change if their attire is inappropriate.
- Proper dance shoes must be worn at all times. Appropriate dance shoes include flat ballet slippers, pointe shoes, modern dance paws or jazz shoes.
- As a courtesy to TPB students and instructors, please use deodorant—unscented, if possible. Offensive personal hygiene will be confidentially addressed and may be grounds for dismissal from class.
- Because many people have sensitivities and allergies, please avoid using scented lotions and body sprays.
- In order to ensure the safety of the dance floors, please do not apply lotions, oils, or salves before class.
Open Classes are cancelled on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Please see the Open Class Schedule for more detailed class and instructor information.
We are excited to now offer The Ellové Technique on Thursdays from 11:45am-12:45pm beginning September 5th!
Meet your instructor, Laura Haney!
Laura Haney grew up in Colorado Springs, CO, and attended Walnut Hill School for the Arts in Natick, MA, where she studied dance and music. She was a member of River North Dance Company and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, was a featured performer in the First National Tour of Fosse and a cast member of the Broadway musical A Christmas Carol at Madison Square Garden for two seasons. Laura was a company member of BodyVox from 2005-2008 and most recently performed with Lane Hunter Dance. She is a certified Pilates, BeMoved®, and Ellové Technique® instructor and has taught numerous dance workshops and master classes across the country. Laura spent 12 years directing the dance program and student company at Multnomah Athletic Club and is now the Business Manager for The Ellové Technique.