CLASSES FOR TEENS AND ADULTS
Click HERE for our Open Ballet and Adult Beginning Ballet Zoom class links, schedules, and policies.
Effective April 13, TPB will offer Open Ballet in-person on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-11:30am taught by Zach Carroll.
Open Ballet via Zoom will still be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-11:30am, and on Saturdays from 10:00-11:15am. All Open Ballet classes will require pre-registration via ClassBug.
- Single Class $20
- 10 Class Card $180 ($18/class)
- 20 Class Card $320 ($16/class)
- Professional/University Student Single Class $16
- Single Class $10
- 10 Class Bundle $100 (no discount for Zoom class bundle)
During this period of limited class sizes, previously purchased class cards will not be redeemable for classes beginning April 13. These classes will remain on your account, with no expiration, for use once class size limitations are lifted.
To register for Open Ballet classes:
- Click HERE to view our class calendar
- Select the class you would like to register for
- Purchase or redeem class credits
In-person and Zoom classes will only be available for registration 2 weeks in advance. Dancers that sign up for Zoom classes will receive an email with the link upon registration.
All dancers must follow these protocols in order to attend in-person classes:
- We ask all dancers to self-screen prior to coming into the studio for an in-person class:
- Have you had a new or worsening cough?
- Have you had a fever?
- Have you had shortness of breath?
- Have you had a new loss of smell or taste?
- Have you been in close contact with anyone with these symptoms or anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
- Have you traveled out of state in the past 14 days?
- If you have traveled out of state:
- Do not attend any in person class at TPB for either:
10 days, without any testing
• 7 days, if you receive a negative test result from an antigen or polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test that was conducted within 48 hours of the end of the 7-day period.
- Do not attend any in person class at TPB for either:
- Dancers will be allowed to enter the building no more than 15 minutes before the scheduled class time; dancers will not be admitted into the building once class has started
- TPB staff will let dancers in through the back door; the front door will remain locked at all times
- A TPB staff member will take the dancer’s temperature at the door using a no-touch thermometer; if a dancer has a fever (temperature above 100.4ºF), they will not be admitted into the building
- Dancers must immediately use hand sanitizer upon entering the building; dancers may not enter the dance studio until they have used hand sanitizer
- Dancers must enter TPB dressed for their class- the dressing room will not be available for use, please only bring items you need for class in a small bag
- All dancers must wear masks while in the building, including during the lesson or while in the restroom
- Dancers may not pull down or remove their mask for any reason
- Dancers must come to class hydrated and will not have access to the water bottle filling station
- Dancers should use the restroom before arriving at TPB
- At the end of class, dancers must wipe down any surfaces they touched with Lysol wipes (provided by TPB)
- Dancers must exit through the front door and must walk around the pharmacy to access the parking lot
- Bathrooms have been turned into unisex, single use restrooms; only one person is allowed in the bathroom at a time, if both bathrooms are in use, please wait in the hallway
- Dancers must use hand sanitizer at the end of their class before leaving the building
- Dancers must leave the building promptly, no more than 10 minutes after the end of their class
- TPB reserves the right to cancel in-person classes if there is a significant rise in cases of COVID-19
Adult Absolute Beginning Ballet Series
TPB’s Adult Absolute Beginning Ballet Series is now on Zoom!
Classes are held every Sunday from 11:00-11:45am with instructor Bernadette LaMarsh. Use THIS link to access our Zoom policies and class login.
*This class is being held via Zoom due to Covid-19. We are currently Adult Beginning Ballet as a drop-in class. Please see link above for class policies and access.
The Portland Ballet regularly offers eight-week sessions of absolute beginner ballet classes that provide interested adults with a fun and informative introduction to ballet basics. Once a week on Sundays, Bernadette LaMarsh guides dancers through the fundamentals of ballet. $120 for 8 Weeks.
Interested in joining mid-session? Call the studio for information about late registration.
- 11:00 – 11:45 am. For the absolute beginner.
Beginning on August 1st, Adult Beginning Ballet will occur from 11:00-11:45am on Sundays, and will be taught by Bernadette LaMarsh.
Students pay a drop-in rate of $17/class, or $12/class for barre only. We also offer the following discounts for our returning and ongoing students:
- $80 for five classes (equal to $16/class)
- $150 for ten classes (equal to $15/class)
- $240 for twenty classes (equal to $12/class)
College students and professional dancers may qualify for a discount rate of $13/class. The Professional/Student class card rates are:
- $110 for 10 classes (equal to $11/class)
Students must show a college ID to receive the Student Rate; high school students are not eligible for this discount. For TPB Curriculum students, Open Classes count as a drop-in class. Professional dancers can apply to receive the Professional Rate. To apply, please complete the Professional Rate Application and return it to the front desk. The Portland Ballet will review the information before approving the Professional Rate. We accept checks, cash, VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. Tuition payments are not tax-deductible as a charitable donation, and we do not provide refunds.
- Adult students must sign-in at the reception desk.
- Only water is allowed in the studio. Absolutely no other drinks (sports drinks, coffee, etc.) or food are allowed. Gum is prohibited.
- Please turn off/set to silence or vibrate all cell phones and pagers upon entering the building.
- Unless permission is given, only accompanists may touch, move, or play the pianos.
- Classes are not available for observation by friends or family.
Proper warm-up is necessary for injury prevention. These exercises commence at the beginning of class. Any student arriving 10 or more minutes after the class start time will not be admitted.
Class Attire/Personal Hygiene
- Our instructors need to see student’s body lines in order to make corrections and ensure that everyone is dancing safely. Leotards, tights, and skirts are suggested, but are not mandatory. Tighter-fitting yoga clothes are also appropriate. Gentlemen, dance belts must be worn with tights, leggings, jazz pants, or sweat pants. Jeans and other street clothes are not acceptable.
- Instructors reserve the right to require specific attire for their classes and may ask students to leave class or change if their attire is inappropriate.
- Proper dance shoes must be worn at all times. Appropriate dance shoes include flat ballet slippers, pointe shoes, modern dance paws or jazz shoes.
- As a courtesy to TPB students and instructors, please use deodorant—unscented, if possible. Offensive personal hygiene will be confidentially addressed and may be grounds for dismissal from class.
- Because many people have sensitivities and allergies, please avoid using scented lotions and body sprays.
- In order to ensure the safety of the dance floors, please do not apply lotions, oils, or salves before class.
Open Classes are cancelled on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Please see the Open Class Schedule for more detailed class and instructor information.
We are excited to now offer The Ellové Technique on Thursdays from 11:45am-12:45pm.
Meet your instructor, Laura Haney!
Laura Haney grew up in Colorado Springs, CO, and attended Walnut Hill School for the Arts in Natick, MA, where she studied dance and music. She was a member of River North Dance Company and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, was a featured performer in the First National Tour of Fosse and a cast member of the Broadway musical A Christmas Carol at Madison Square Garden for two seasons. Laura was a company member of BodyVox from 2005-2008 and most recently performed with Lane Hunter Dance. She is a certified Pilates, BeMoved®, and Ellové Technique® instructor and has taught numerous dance workshops and master classes across the country. Laura spent 12 years directing the dance program and student company at Multnomah Athletic Club and is now the Business Manager for The Ellové Technique.
And now, beginning Thursday, January 9, 2020 from 1-2pm Laura will be teaching BeMoved®.
“At BeMoved, we are passionate about sharing the joy of dance with people of all movement abilities. BeMoved is an established dance experience designed by Sherry Zunker for adults of all movement abilities. With 19 unique dance genres, BeMoved inspires participants to embrace dance as a lifelong path to health, joy and fulfillment. Our goal is to celebrate the diverse beauty of movement, while also building a sense of community within our class and company culture. We believe that movement expressed through dance and music has a transformative power that enriches a person’s wellbeing above and beyond the well-known physical fitness benefits. The Warm-Up infuses breath and movement through choreographed, artistic sequences that activate core strength and balance while improving flexibility and coordination. The Genre section of class uses continuous, engaging dance combinations to inspire anyone from first-time dancers to professionals. Finally, the Cool Down brings your workout full circle, leaving you balanced in mind, body and soul – feeling rejuvenated.”
Drop-in class rate is $12 or $10 for student/professional and will be paid directly to the instructor. TPB class cards are not accepted for The Ellové Technique classes.
Open classes are offered seven days a week for the beginning/intermediate to professional dancer. Our highly qualified teachers design classes tailored to the needs and desires of adult students. All dancers with some ballet experience, aged 13 and up, are welcome to participate.
TPB is closed and does not hold Open Classes on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Years Day.
These 10am classes are currently suspended,
please refer to Zoom schedule at the top of the page
Classes are held 7 days a week at 10:00am.*Teachers/pianists are subject to change
Monday ~ Intermediate Ballet for 50+
Georgann Kelly/Jordan Strang
Tuesday ~ Intermediate Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Richard Hugunine
Wednesday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Brett Mills/Jordan Strang
Thursday ~ Intermediate Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Jeremy Reinhold
Friday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Zachary Carroll/Jeremy Reinhold
Saturday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Jason Davis/Richard Hugunine
Sunday ~ Intermediate/Advanced Ballet
Michelle Davis/Jordan Strang